Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2004
1. Upload robots.txt file in to your root directory and include the folder name where you set your downloads.
More information on how to set robots.txt: (http://www.webmasters-central.com/wp/se/robotstxt.shtml)
2. Set the permission of the download folder to 711 OR upload an index file to that folder. This makes that folder web inaccessible.
For example create a folder named 'test'. Usually by default it will be chmoded to 755 or 777. Put some files like test.htm, test1.htm.
Now you type the URL of the folder - yourdomain.com/test/
What will you see? You will see the folder /test with its files in it. Now upload an index file or chmod the folder to 711. Now access the URL. You will see index file or permission denied error.
3. Name the download folders something like 'CDf54eS'. Not like 'downloads' or 'products' etc.
4. If your customer downloads your product once and don't need or don't have to access to your folder then you can set his access to expire for certain days.
For this you need a cgi script that controls your members access based on days, ip address or number of accesses. (http://www.scripts4webmasters.com/ipppro/index.html) This script also protects your thankyou.html pages and expires them after certain time.
5. If you have a membership site and you need to stop password abuse or sharing you can use scripts like:
6. Protect your download links: Like if you keep ...domain.com/downloads/product.zip, everybody knows the download URL. You can use cgi scripts that discloses the download path. (http://www.cgi-scripting.com/downloader.shtml)
7. If you use If you are selling ebooks, you can use password protection to your ebooks. Once your ebook is protected, after your buyer downloads it, you can send it to him to open the ebook.
Some ebook compilers with this password protection features:
About The Author
Radhika Venkata - Subscribe to 'EbookBiz Magazine' which is completely focused on ebook business and Internet Marketing. Receive FREE Ebooks with Resale rights every month!
Webmaster Resources: List Your product, ezine or web site free! (http://www.webmasters-central.com/)