Click Here!
Evrsoft.com
  Web Development, Web design, HTML code, HTML tutorials, Javascripts, DHTML, ASP, Perl, CGI scripts  
YOU ARE HERE: Home : Articles : Internet Dogma
Web Hosting  •  Website Tools  •  HTML Tutorials  •  PHP Resources
Internet Dogma
By Virtual Mechanics
Dogma is the belief in something because it is "known" to be true and consequently there is no need to examine the evidence. Dogma is often used in political or religious references because their basic tenet is that their fundamental belief is a given. Democrats and Liberals believe that social responsibility is the primary objective of a government. Republicans and Conservatives believe that a strong economy will take care of society. I believe that if I were as rich as Bill Gates I would take care of everyone by spending lots of my money. (Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan shared a similar belief.)

The Internet is fertile ground for Dogma. The fact is that if an 'Expert' pronounces an Internet fact to be true, then it can quickly become true simply because there is no evidence or source of evidence to contradict it. Pretty soon there are many experts pronouncing the same 'truth' and using each other as their source. As more experts pronounce each others truth, the more true it seems to become.

I have many pet peeves regarding the Internet. A common one relates to designing your web site. Not because there is a lot of falsehood but because there is often no confirmation that the information is based upon fact. Even though its apparent truth may seem obvious, it may be superficial.

For example, how fast should your home page load? I have heard many numbers about how many visitors you will loose for every ten seconds of download time. 20% is a common one. So after 10 seconds of waiting you will be down to 80%. 20 second at 60%, 30 seconds at 40% and so on until no one is left. So is this true or dogma?

None of us like to wait. If we are waiting to turn at a traffic light we may get impatient after a minute. If we are waiting for a plane we can easily expect to wait for an hour before becoming impatient. In either case, how soon are we likely to make the turn or leave the airport simply because we are impatient with waiting?

It seems to me that a good business practice would be to avoid getting your potential customers annoyed in the first place. If 20% of visitors are likely to leave after 10 seconds (what sites do they actually end up looking at?), then surely the remaining 80% are becoming impatient. So what do you do? Create a site that loads in
10 seconds?

There are actually two dogmas involved here. The first assumes that a visitor will wait to view your site if it loads fast. The second assumes they will leave if it loads slowly. The fact is a visitor will leave or stay for many other reasons. Load time is in my opinion, a relatively minor factor for a well designed web site.

What is the truth? As with most truths, it is never so simple. A visitor will likely stay or leave depending upon whether you have a product or service that they are actually interested in. Assuming that you do, your objective should NOT be to create a fast loading page but to persuade your visitors to spend their time to explore your
offerings.

An idea I can leave you with is to display your most important text first. Text will not only load and display fast, it will give your visitors something to read while the rest of your page loads. This will help avoid loosing those visitors that are potential customers but truly impatient.

Next week I will explore some options and ideas that can be used when designing a web page as a sales tool for first time visitor. In the mean time, keep in mind that there are currently few absolute truths when it comes to the Internet.


Source: "IMS Web Tips" is a weekly news letter for all web site managers regardless of experience who are looking for detailed information on creating, maintaining and promoting their web sites.

To subscribe send an email to join.imswebtips@list.imswebtips.com or visit www.IMSWebTips.com for subscription information and a list of past articles.



More Articles



.

News
  " TARGET="_blank">...

...

...

...

...

 
More News  
Interactive
A database error has occured!
Misc

Join our newsletter!
Join our eNewsletter
for software updates,
freebies and more!


      Subscribe
      Unsubscribe



30,674,408
Domains
Registered Worldwide
...more statistics

Click Here!

 


  Articles are submitted to EDN and licensed from various content sites.
  To report abuse, copyright issues, article removals, please contact [violations (at@) evrsoft.com]

  Copyright © Evrsoft Developer Network. Privacy policy - Link to Us

Contact Evrsoft