Webmaster Forums

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
chompz

chompz is on a distinguished road
Default Buying domain names--.com, .net or .info?

.info sites are very inexpensive right now, and I'm wondering if they are on their way up in the Internet world as information sites?

.org kinda took off with government industries and I personally think that .info will find its way into the market very soon for information sites that would obviously be article based and adword/keyword supported.

What do you think?
chompz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
chompz

chompz is on a distinguished road

Curious question: How many domain names do you own and do you have an active webpage on all of them, or are you sitting on a few? If you are sitting on them, why are you doing so?

It can be tough in the Internet world to find your niche with a website, especially if you are basing your site on articles and information or forums. However, if you find that niche, and get the domain name, then you are really ready to rock n' roll.

So my questions for you are:

Do you have a niche website?
Has it paid off for you?
What is your 'niche' website and how long have you had it?

When you purcahse your domain names, do you only purchase the .com version or do you take the .net, .info, .org (etc. etc. etc.) if they are available? Would you rather have
mywebsite.net or my-website.com (with hyphens)?

Last edited by Spock; 07-13-2007 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Why multiple posts within a few minutes of each other when one will do.
chompz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Terminator1138
Retired Super Moderator

Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of

Moderators note: Merged threads, Please chompz if you have multiple questions, instead of posting a new thread every 2 minutes, just create one thread with all your comments. Thank you. This only keeps the board more clean.
Terminator1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
ious

ious is on a distinguished road

If you purchase a .COM domain for an information Website, it doesn't make sense. .COM domains are for commercial Websites, .INFO domains are for information Websites. For example, information in regards to graphics and web design would be good for a .INFO domain. If you're starting a normal personal Website, the domain extension I recommend it .WS - it stands for Web site.

I'm still figuring out why .INFO domains are so low priced, this maybe a stupid question, but it needs answering. I buy several .INFO domains for information Websites, for about $1.10. Aren't .INFO domains a Top Level Domain? Recently .ORG domains have gone for low prices as well, is it because there are not many registrations of those extensions?

Last edited by Spock; 07-13-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Why multiple posts within a few minutes of each other when one will do?
ious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
mystickcal

mystickcal is on a distinguished road

.COM is more common and I highly recommend it. If you are doing a personal site, .com is the way to go. .com, .net, .org are made for personal sites.
mystickcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
ious

ious is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think personal Websites should go for .WS extensions. I think .COM extensions would be for commercial Websites the most. If you choose the right domain for the right kind of Website, your guaranteed to get hits.
ious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Terminator1138
Retired Super Moderator

Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of

[url=http://developers.evrsoft.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24306&postcount=6]Yeah I think you covered that![/url]
Terminator1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
hali

hali is on a distinguished road

I recommend .COM whether it is a personal or business site. .COM is so well known and established. If someone is looking for a site with only the name and not the extension, the first thing they type in is .COM.
hali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
BigMumu

BigMumu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hali View Post
I recommend .COM whether it is a personal or business site. .COM is so well known and established. If someone is looking for a site with only the name and not the extension, the first thing they type in is .COM.
I prefer .net as IMO they fit anythng, but you got a point, .com is better for the reason you gave.
BigMumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
seoman2
Probationary

seoman2 is on a distinguished road

I agree with hali and Kaabi.

You need a .com domain if your site is business related. .info and .net just aren't suitable for business.

Last edited by Terminator1138; 03-20-2009 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: no sig links allowed....read rules
seoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
cool0

cool0 is on a distinguished road

There is an site [url]http://www.tucktail.com/[/url] where i found the cheap domain names.
We can register a domain name $1.99!...It also provides the free web hosting service .
Where can i get the .edu?
cool0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
adam
Banned

adam is on a distinguished road

Their are various domain name providing websites for sorting out the matter related to domain name.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #13
Phapollaloupt
Probationary

Phapollaloupt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Phapollaloupt
Default 111

Very interesting
Phapollaloupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #14
John23

John23 is on a distinguished road
Post Re:

Well I think .com domain is more preferable then .net or .info, it is helpful in SEO.
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote