Webmaster Forums

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #61
ANDREW_H

ANDREW_H is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ANDREW_H

If by previewing in FireFox you mean previewing in the internal redering engine or via the preview tab, the fact that you have FireFox install and have pointed to it has nothing to do with this problem. You need to download and install the Mozilla ActiveX Control.
Do a Google Search for Mozilla Control. This should provide you with a download location.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 AM   #62
Patrick Keogh

Patrick Keogh is on a distinguished road

The "Upload" capability is one area where improvement is required.
To upload my documents I end up having to use commands like:
pscp "c:\Program Files\Evrsoft First Page 2006\Projects\Rainfall\*.php" [email]patrick@www.xxx.yyy.zzz[/email]:/var/www/rainfall
because my server won't allow FTP (because I don't want it to).
So some way of defining the command that will upload a file rather than just assuming that it can be done with FTP would be useful.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #63
Gideon

Gideon is on a distinguished road

Thanks Andrew.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #64
loren
Probationary

loren is on a distinguished road

Lucky me,

I was browsing my computer and went into the setup folder and was just checking out all my setups I have, low-and-behold 1st page was in there and I was like, Hey, why not check out the site again? See if anything's really changed (no offence, but the progress has never really been revealed to the public until now)

Lucky me I came within a few hours I believe of the new Beta being released and downloadable,

As for being a commercial solution, 1stpage appears to be a very well and complete piece of software, however my development has changed and I'm stuck to NuSphere's PhpED, Hmmmh, I wonder if 1st Page could execute php scripts as a server without apache *wink, wink*

Anyways, congragulations on the new Beta Release, Hats off and grab a bottle of champaign,

BTW: From the small glimpse I saw of it, I was very impressed, and I might be moved to make the switch of my favorite Editors again, this time coming back of course, (oh wait, isn't that treason?) =D

Anyways, Congrats, and I most deffinatly will be watching the progress of the editor (those two year old topics still hovering at the top of some of the forums were starting to scare me)

Regards,

~ Loren
Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #65
ruth

ruth is on a distinguished road

I do not have the vocabulary to express how ecstatic I am I absolutely love this. I'm not an advanced webpage designer and I haven't run into any problems/bugs yet with what I use.

It seems to work fine in Win98SE except for one issue. When I was customizing the program it froze and I lost everything. I don't know if the issue is because I'm on '98 but if it is, I found the solution by customizing 1 or 2 toolbars, saving and then closing and opening the program again. I repeated this until I got all I wanted and it seems to work fine.

One most important question: how do we get the program without the 12-01 expiration date? Please, please don't say it's temporary and we can't have it after that

Ruth
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #66
Terminator1138
Retired Super Moderator

Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of Terminator1138 has much to be proud of

Well, this goes for all ppl, but what I will saying being a volunteer moderator, is that this program is first release beta.....so ppl should not expect to be fully functional working version without any issues, cuz there is always issues....until final release.

@ruth: Im sure the timer is just to aid in seperation of the beta release since beta is only open for a short time...too many copies of a beta version will float around and you want good product/software to be fully implemented...

Its nice to hear nice comments also and what is working just fine along with the bugs
Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #67
Anemone

Anemone is on a distinguished road

As a long-time (4-5 years) user of 1stPage 2000, I'm delighted that a new release is coming out. I just started using it today, so I'm sure I will come up with more comments and requests over the next few weeks, but here are a few starters:

(1) I like to see both the "Hardcore" toolbar and the "Advanced" palette in the toolbar section. I had set it up that way in 1stPage 2000, but now I can't seem to be able to access both at once in 2006. (I'm sure there's a way, but it would be nice to have it in plain sight.)

Edit: --> Oops, I must have been blind this afternoon. It's in the same place it always was!

(2) In the "List" toolbar of the palette, the buttons for "List Definition", "Definition", and "Definition Term" are still counter-intuitive. When I see a button that is labelled "DT", I expect it to produce the tags <dt></dt>, not <dd></dd>!

(3) I would love to be able to import or copy the applicable preferences from 1stPage 2000, since I have been tinkering with them for many years.

(4) The expanded list of "Instantz Scripts" is nice (very nice!), but many of the previews don't show anything; it would be useful, in the script description, to add any necessary instructions so the user immediately sees what to do to make it work (rather than having to parse the script and puzzle it out).

(5) Some of the icons are obscure and really require looking for the tool tip (e.g., Replace, 1st Transfer, Select Tag, iScripts, various Insert Image icons).

(6) If, like me, you like to keep a pretty wide area for the source and a narrow sidebar, the tabs become messy because of the labels' width; an option to display or turn off tab labels under View/Sidebar Options would be useful.

(7) Speaking of the sidebar, I love the Properties Inspector! This is great stuff.

(8) Of course, I have the same unhapiness that everyone reports about the WYSIWYG tag-replacement phenomenon, but as pointed out earlier, it's the $%*&^ engine's fault.

(9) When inserting the meta tag "description" from the Hardcore toolbar, I'm still getting the incorrect code <meta-http-equiv="description" content="document description"> (with the dash between "meta" and "http").

(10) I would love being able to select what commands to include in the context (right-click) menu. For example, I would like to be able to add the paragraph tag (<p></p>) as a one-click option, rather than the current 3rd-level option (Insert HTML/Format/Paragraph).

As with the previous version, 1stPage is a pleasure to use. I do have MS FrontPage, but I have always loved 1stPage so much more, and I'm delighted to get an updated version. Thanks!

Last edited by Anemone; 11-04-2005 at 06:18 PM..
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #68
ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone
...here are a few starters....
(1) I like to see both the "Hardcore" toolbar and the "Advanced" palette in the toolbar section. I had set it up that way in 1stPage 2000, but now I can't seem to be able to access both at once in 2006. (I'm sure there's a way, but it would be nice to have it in plain sight.)

Click on Options, click Switch to Normal Mode, then go to View and check View Palette and View Hardcore Bar. That puts both across the top.

(6) If, like me, you like to keep a pretty wide area for the source and a narrow sidebar, the tabs become messy because of the labels' width; an option to display or turn off tab labels under View/Sidebar Options would be useful.

For now, I have pulled it loose, resized 1st Page to leave about 6" at the right and moved it there, totally outside, sitting on the desktop. [though it's really not outside, of course, it just looks like it is] The advantages to that are: I can make the side bar 6" and the labels become just a letter; I can save and/or close all pages open and the sidebar remains which it doesn't do when it's docked; closing the program closes the side bar but when you start the program again the sidebar is still at the right. [hope that made sense ]

(8) Of course, I have the same unhapiness that everyone reports about the WYSIWYG tag-replacement phenomenon, but as pointed out earlier, it's the $%*&^ engine's fault.

If you're using the design view, then before you save your document if you go to Tools/Tidy HTML Quick Tools/Convert Tag Attribute Case/Lowercase it will change them all to lowercase. It's kind of unwieldy, but if you need deisgn view for some reason on something, it does let you put everything back pretty quickly. I tried to find that option someplace where I could put it into one of the toolbars, but didn't see that anyplace.

Hope that helps. I found most of them by accident!

Ruth
Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #69
Anemone

Oh, can I just add that the little bar at the bottom that allows you to select element tags in hierarchic order, and to edit them from the context menu (not sure what the feature is called) is absolutely great? I love it!
Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 AM   #70
ruth

What little bar is that?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #71
Anemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth
What little bar is that?
That one:

And by the way, another comment (I believe others have made it, but I want to reinforce): it would nice if closing the document you're working on didn't close blank documents at the same time. I want the code workspace to remain open with a blank page.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #72
ruth

I believe that 'bar' is a kind of an automatic context thingee. If you open a blank page, none of that is there because there is no code on the page. As soon as you enter a tag, its related term appears.

As to the other, I don't know what you mean by closing blank documents if you close the doc you're working on. That doesn't happen when I close my working document, if I have a blank open it stays open. If blank documents are closing automatically you might report that under bugs.

Ruth
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #73
Anemone

Default More small-stuff comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth
I believe that 'bar' is a kind of an automatic context thingee. If you open a blank page, none of that is there because there is no code on the page. As soon as you enter a tag, its related term appears.
Yep, I know. I just love that new feature; it makes it easy to find the ends of tags that cover vast blocks of text, and to apply formatting on the fly.

Quote:
As to the other, I don't know what you mean by closing blank documents if you close the doc you're working on. That doesn't happen when I close my working document, if I have a blank open it stays open. If blank documents are closing automatically you might report that under bugs.

Ruth
Huh. Interesting. When I close the last "saved" document, 1stPage 2006 also closes any blank documents I had opened, so I lose the workspace and am left with the top toolbar. It's not a big deal in that I can just open a new document again, but it's a little annoying. I do not use the "Launch document manager at startup" option, and I DO use the "Create new [Untitled] document at startup" option. This happens on both computers where I loaded the beta. Comment #52 of this thread seems to report similar issue.

Another small annoyance: some of my context preferences do not seem to be saved from session to session. Specifically, the "Word Wrap" option from the side toolbar of the code area keeps getting de-selected, as does the "Grid Lines On" choice from the context menu (under "Options") in the bottom part of the Explorer tab in the sidebar. The width of the file details columns in the Explorer tab also keep resetting. (On inspection of previous comments, it looks like #38 of this thread reports something similar when it mentions the "Wrap" feature.)

That said, I will definitely be willing to pay (within reason) for the final version -- if only to say thanks for several years of productive use of 1stPage 2000. I learned a lot from using it; it wasn't just an editor, it was a tutorial. :-)

Last edited by Anemone; 11-08-2005 at 07:20 AM..
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #74
ruth

Quote:
That said, I will definitely be willing to pay (within reason) for the final version -- if only to say thanks for several years of productive use of 1stPage 2000. I learned a lot from using it; it wasn't just an editor, it was a tutorial. :-)
So would I, if they fix the key inoperablity problem. I may have lost the ability to use the program totally if no one has a fix. Trying the beta disabled my arrow, del and backspace keys in it and also in 2000. I've uninstalled the beta, no fix, uninstalled and re-installed 2000 and still they don't work. It's not usable without those keys. I don't know what I'm going to do because that is the only editor I use. I even found my old 2000 setup from back in 2002 and tried installing that one, the keys still don't work. I am going to be lost. I don't like any of the programs out there, I've only used 1st Page for years.

Ruth
Old 11-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #75
Admin
Administrator

Admin is on a distinguished road

Go into your registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Evrsoft > 1st Page > Parsers
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Evrsoft > First Page 2006 > Parsers

Try deleting the parsers entry and reload the editor, it should create new default ones.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #76
ruth

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I noticed when I got to the registry that there are two entries for 1st Page and 1 entry for 1st page 2006. Is it supposed to have two entries for 2000? I've never done anything in the registry. Should I uninstall and then get rid of the 1st page registry entries and reinstall both?

Ruth
Old 11-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #77
Anemone

Unhappy New "Projects" feature

I tried to set up a project today, but my files never appeared in the list (though the project itself does). My files are situated on a network drive that I have mapped; could that be the source of the problem? Did anyone try the "Projects" feature, and if so, did they have trouble with it?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #78
marksmind

marksmind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tried to set up a project today, but my files never appeared in the list (though the project itself does). My files are situated on a network drive that I have mapped; could that be the source of the problem? Did anyone try the "Projects" feature, and if so, did they have trouble with it?
I've had the same problem and I'm on a stand alone desktop.

Mark
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #79
Anemone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmind
I've had the same problem and I'm on a stand alone desktop.
OK, I'll add this to the bug section of the forum, then. :-(
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #80
paganbabe

paganbabe is on a distinguished road
Question expiory panic

Dear all.
My partner, bless his cotton socks, is in a bit of a panick, he syas his copy of 1stpage 2006 expires in 14 days. What does he do about it? Just let it expire, uninstall it and download a new copy to tide him over till the PROPER release?

Please advise.
Thanks.
Nikki
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: